Anyone who enjoys sushi rolls knows just how fun and exciting they can be. With this simple yet delicious salad roll recipe, now you can enjoy the fun and excitement of rolls for a nutritious snack. And, if you've never tried sushi rolls but always wanted to, this salad roll alternative to traditional sushi rolls can serve as a precursor to the real thing.
This salad roll recipe is easy and packed full of nutritious ingredients for a healthy snack anytime of the day, and it incorporates many of the main ingredients used in traditional sushi rolls, sans the sushi, for a fun way to get your veggies.
What You Will Need:
- 1 nori (seaweed) sheet
- 1-2 butter lettuce leaves
- 1 cup of sushi rice*
- 5 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2-3 chunks of avocado
- 1/3 celery stick, julianned
- 1/3 carrot stick, julianned
- 1/3 green pepper, julianned
- Cranberries or cranberry sauce
- 1 bamboo sushi roll Mat
- Plastic wrap
- Your favorite Asian inspired sauce for dipping
1. Prepare the sushi rice according to the instructions.
2. In a small bowl, combine the rice wine vinegar, sugar, and salt.
3. Add the rice to a large bowl; then, add the seasonings a little at time. Gently mix the seasonings with the rice using a wooden spoon. Use a slicing motion to incorporate the seasonings to avoid making the rice too sticky.
4. Cover the bowl with a clean, damp towel, and allow it cool for about 30 minutes.
5. Cover the sushi roll mat with plastic wrap.
6. Place the nori sheet flat on a level surface.
7. Add the sushi rice to the top of the nori sheet so that it covers the entire sheet.
8. Place the nori sheet rice side down onto the bamboo mat.
9. Add a layer of celery, long-wise, in a single line across the center of the nori sheet so that it extends from one end of the sheet to the other. Add the remainder of the veggies, one layer at a time, ending with the butter lettuce. Lastly, add a layer or cranberry sauce.
10. Using the sushi mat, roll the nori sheet into a snug log.
11. Top the log with plastic wrap; then, using a sharp knife, cut the roll into bite-size rounds.
Place the salad rolls on a platter then simply store it in the refrigerator for a bite-sized healthy snack you can munch on throughout the day!